Minneapolis Natural Areas Plan - Phase II
The MPRB Natural Areas Plan summarizes the park system’s natural resources at a high level, lays out methods and strategies to manage natural areas, and describes a strategic approach that embraces holistic, system-wide planning and administration to secure and deploy funds, staff, and equipment.
In a nutshell, this resource offers:
- Principles & concepts for planning conservation and long-term management of park natural areas
- Methods for inventory and assessment of natural areas
- Management recommendations and management briefs for natural areas
- Costs to improve ecological conditions in park natural areas
How to use this resource:
- As an example of carrying out a holistic assessment of ecological conditions, funding, and staffing of an urban natural areas management program.
- As a format for conducting assessments and creating management briefs to guide short-term implementation actions.
- As an example of a long-term plan for urban natural areas.
Date published: June, 2021
Point of contact: James Shaffer, Natural Resources Supervisor, Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board, JShaffer@minneapolisparks.org.
Resource Environmental Solutions and SRF Consulting Group. 2021. Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, Natural Areas Plan – Phase II; Assessment and Management Recommendations. Report for the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, Minneapolis, MN.
Resource is available online here.