Funding Forested Natural Areas: Recent Trends in New York City
This report analyzes the recent trends in funding and resources for New York City’s forested natural area care
and the implications for successful future management. We also identify opportunities to better align needs
and resources for forest management.
In a nutshell, this resource offers:
- A summary and analysis of spending on forested natural areas management in NYC from 2017-202
- An exploration of conservancy funding and engagement in forested natural areas management
- A comparison of NYC Parks spending on forested natural areas versus other programs.
How to use this resource:
- Language for advocacy and awareness raising for more funding and support for NYC's forested natural areas
- A model for how to understand spending, staffing, and funding partnerships for forested natural areas care
- Recommendations for fostering broader, more equitable funding solutions for urban forested natural areas
Authors: Helen Forgione, Sarah Charlop-Powers, and Clara Pregitzer
Date published: April, 2023
Point of contact: Helen Forgione, Natural Areas Conservancy
Citation: Forgione, Helen M., Sarah Charlop-Powers, and Clara C. Pregitzer. 2023. Funding Forested Natural Areas: Recent Trends in New York City. Natural Areas Conservancy. New York, NY.
Resource is available online here.