Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Toolkit for External Engagement Practices
This toolkit, authored by the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed, provides resources that empower users to take mindful action to break down the barriers that hinder participation. It focuses on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) in relation to an organization's external or programmatic engagement, rather than internal processes.
In a nutshell, this resource offers:
- Resources for readers to understand how an organization's approach does or does not advance the principles of DEIJ in its external work.
- A guide totake mindful action to break down the barriers that hinder truly inclusive and diverse participation in the environmental and conservation sector.
- Specific suggestions to incorporating DEIJ into activities such as conferences, volunteer outreach, project regions, and more.
- A description of microagressions, how to spot them, how to call them out, and how to be an effective bystander.
- Guidelines to using DEIJ practices in rural areas.
- A description of community-centric fundraising (in contrast to donor-centric fundraising), and how community-centric fundraising can be a step towards greater integration of DEIJ practices.
How to use this resource:
- As a guide to begin or continue DEIJ efforts within your organization's external operations.
- As a reference while creating new programs or projects.
- As a list of other references to integrate DEIJ principles in your organization's external operations.